How many courses and credits do I need to graduate?

Each NHS degree candidate must complete a minimum of 120 semester hours and 37-43 courses.  See the Undergraduate Bulletin for additional degree requirements.

Candidates for a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) must earn a minimum of 129 credits.

What GPA do I need to graduate? To graduate with honors?

A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 is required for graduation. For a list of graduation honors, please see the Undergraduate Bulletin.

How is my GPA calculated?

See the Undergraduate Bulletin for a list of grades and quality points.  You can view your current GPA through MyAccess by clicking on the MyDegree link.

How do I get a transcript?

The University Registrar's Web site provides instructions for requesting an official or unofficial transcript.

What are the General Education requirements?

For a complete description of the NHS General Education requirements, please see the Undergraduate Bulletin.

How can I fulfill the International Health foreign language requirement?

INTH students can fulfill the foreign language requirement in one of the following ways:

  1. Complete course work at Georgetown through the Intermediate II level (e.g., FREN-022 Intermediate French II for French). 
  2. Take a language placement test during New Student Orientation and place beyond the Intermediate II level (e.g., FREN-101 Advanced French for French).
  3. A non-native speaker of English may petition the NHS Office of Student Academic Affairs for completion of the requirement if the language of instruction in high school was a language other than English. Speakers of languages other than English should contact the Office of Student Academic Affairs for more information.

Can I double major?

No. The NHS programs of study do not allow for students to successfully complete two majors in a four-year period.

Can I pursue a minor?

Yes. Minor areas of concentration and certificates are available in many disciplines. Students may choose to pursue a minor or certificate program in any department offering one within the university. You must notify your academic advisor if you intend to pursue a minor or certificate.

How do I apply to study abroad?

Please visit the Office of Global Education site for more information.

Can I transfer study abroad credit toward my major(s) or minor(s)?

Please see the study abroad transfer credit Web page for complete information.

What is the Council on Studies?

The Council on Studies of NHS, composed of the Associate Dean, Assistant Dean, Assistant Directors, and Academic Counselors, handles student cases and interprets university academic regulations. The Council convenes at the conclusion of each semester to review the grades of each student in NHS. Please see the Undergraduate Bulletin for complete information.

I failed a course. What happens now?

The Council on Studies convenes at the conclusion of the fall, spring, and summer semesters to review the grades of each student in NHS. See the Undergraduate Bulletin for complete information on academic probation, suspension, and dismissal and for information on how to appeal the decision by the Council on Studies.

Can I take summer school courses? What do I need to do?

For summer courses and registration information at Georgetown University, please see the summer school section of the School of Continuing Studies Web site.

For non-Georgetown summer school, please see the Non-Georgetown Transfer Credit Evaluation Form.

Can I take a course Pass/Fail?

Ordinarily, any course that fulfills a major, minor, certificate or general education requirement must be taken for a letter grade.

After the first year, students may take one elective course each semester on a pass/fail basis up to a total of six pass/fail courses during sophomore, junior, and senior years. You can elect pass/fail on the Add/Drop Form. 
Please see the Undergraduate Bulletin for the full procedure.

Does advanced credit (AP, IB, etc.) count for courses as well as credits toward graduation?

Yes. See the Advanced Credit section of the Undergraduate Bulletin for specific credit award information.

Can I audit a course?

Yes. See the Audit Policy section of the Undergraduate Bulletin for specific audit information.

How do I register for a tutorial?

Registration for tutorials begins on the first day of the semester (through the end of Add/Drop); pre-registration for tutorials is not possible. Students are encouraged to begin the process well before the beginning of the semester.

The student should pick up a Tutorial Request Form from the Office of Student Academic Affairs (St. Mary’s Hall, 2nd floor), fill out the form completely, and get the signature of the faculty member who will conduct the tutorial, as well as the signature of the department chair.

What is the consortium? How do I register for a course through the consortium?

Georgetown University belongs to the Consortium of Universities of Washington, D.C. Students who wish to take a course through the Consortium must seek approval from your academic advisor before registering.

Students may not take a course through the Consortium if the same class is offered that semester at Georgetown.

I can't complete the work for my course by the end of the semester. What should I do?

Students must complete all work in a course no later than the date of the final examination.

In the case of illness or other grave reasons, you must request permission from your academic advisor to receive the provisional grade of N ("incomplete").

You must request an N grade no later than the last day of class for that semester. Find the N Grade (Incomplete) Request Form here or in the Office of Student Academic Affairs. Instructions can be found on the form.

Please note that students on academic probation are not eligible to receive N grades.

When an N grade is granted, the course must be completed and the final grade submitted by the professor no later than March 30 for the fall semester, September 30 for the spring semester, or November 30 for the summer sessions. Please see the Undergraduate Bulletin for more information on incomplete grades.

What's a Conflict Final Exam? Do I qualify?

The Conflict Final Exam, typically administered on the last day of final exams each semester, is available for students who have two final exams scheduled for the same time, three final exams scheduled for the same calendar day, or three final exams in successive time slots.

To request that one of your final exams be administered on the Conflict Final Exam Day, please alert your academic advisor. Your advisor will then work with faculty to determine which exam will be held on the Conflict Final Exam Day.

What is the Community-Based Learning Credit program?

The Community-Based Learning Credit program allows students to receive an additional credit hour in one of their classes by integrating their work in the community with other course requirements. For complete information, please see the Community-Based Learning Credit Program Web site.

What is Tropaia?

The Tropaia Exercises are the annual awards ceremony of NHS. Tropaia is held during Commencement weekend. Faculty, students, family, and friends of the NHS community are invited and encouraged to participate. See the Undergraduate Bulletin for descriptions of the awards of NHS, some of which are presented at Tropaia.

I'm interested in medical school. Whom should I see?

Make sure to notify your academic advisor of your interest in pre-med coursework. The pre-medical curriculum is not a major in itself, but rather can be undertaken by any undergraduate student at Georgetown University.

Explore the Pre-Med Web site for information about the undergraduate pre-med program and other resources and advice to prepare you to apply to medical school.

Students with high marks should consider applying to the Georgetown University School of Medicine through the Early Assurance Program. This program assures academically strong students admission to the School of Medicine at the end of their sophomore year.

The goal of early assurance is to provide students the opportunity to focus on other academic pursuits by providing relief from the ordinary pressures of the medical school application process, such as MCAT preparation and interviews during their junior and senior years.

What about other graduate school options?

Speak with you academic advisor and faculty advisor to explore your graduate school options.

Also, be sure to check out the Career Education Center’s Web site.

Where should I go to explore careers?

The Career Education Center is fully dedicated to helping you find a job after college. Take a look at the center's Web site and schedule a visit with a counselor.