Each academic year, generally during the spring semester, the School of Nursing & Health Studies hosts a Values Based Lecture featuring a distinguished speaker. The event, which is planned by the school's Committee on Mission and Values, is open to the Georgetown University community.
(March 13, 2018, 4 PM, Leavey Center) Mary Wakefield, PhD, RN, FAAN, visiting distinguished professor in the practice of health care at the School of Nursing & Health Studies, will deliver the 2018 Values Based Lecture. The title is, "The Affordable Care Act: Impact on Health Equity, Communities, and Workforce."
A light dinner will follow the lecture. Wakefield is a fellow of the American Academy of Nursing and an elected member of the National Academy of Medicine. She served as administrator of the Health Resources and Services Administration and acting deputy administrator of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- The Rev. Monsignor John Enzler, president and CEO of Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington, and Susan Pankratz, MD, clinical director of the medical clinic at the organization's McCarrick Family Center (2017)
- Sister Carol Keehan, DC, RN, MS, president and CEO of the Catholic Health Association of the United States (2016)
- Desiree Hellegers (C'83), PhD, associate professor of English at Washington State University Vancouver and author of No Room of Her Own: Women's Stories of Homelessness, Life, Death, and Resistance (Palgrave Macmillan, 2011) (2015)
- Sister Simone Campbell, SSS, executive director of NETWORK, a national Catholic social justice lobby (2014)
- Christine Grady (NHS'74, G'93), PhD, RN, FAAN, chief of the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center's Department of Bioethics (2013)
- Maria Gomez (NHS’77), MPH, RN, founder, president, and CEO of Mary’s Center (2012)
- Rochelle Rollins, PhD, MPH, director of the Division of Policy and Data in the Office of Minority Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2011)
- Joy Ufema, MS, RN, author of Insights on Death & Dying (2010)
- Laura Anderko, PhD, RN, the Robert and Kathleen Scanlon Chair in Values Based Health Care at NHS (2009)
- Carol Picard, PhD, RN, CS, past president of Sigma Theta Tau International, the honor society of nursing (2008)