Frequently Asked Questions



When is the application deadline?

January 15 and April 1 for the next Fall (e.g. January 15, 2017 for Fall 2017 admission).

What is required to apply?

Please see the Admissions Guidelines for detailed application requirements and procedures. Non-application requirements to be eligible to apply:

  • Master’s degree with an advanced nursing practice
  • Current U.S. RN license and certification in an advanced nursing practice role, if applicable.
  • ApplyYourself online application that includes:
    • Personal statement that includes short and long-term goals after completion of the DNP program. If you already have a general sense of your area of interest for your translational research project, you are invited to include this in your statement. However, this is not required.
    • Resume or curriculum vitae
    • Three letters of recommendation; one from each of the following: supervisor, faculty, colleague
    • Supplemental Application Form
  • Interview with the Program Director (by invitation upon review of application)
  • Cumulative master’s level GPA of 3.3 or higher and master’s level science GPA of 3.0 or higher


I have my master's degree in non-nursing content, but I am an RN. Am I eligible to apply?

Yes. Applicants without an MSN in advanced practice will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Is the GRE required?

No, the GRE is not required. However, if you have a strong score within the last 5 years, this can be added as a supplement to your application.

What experience do I need to apply?

It is recommended, but not required, that applicants have one year of nursing experience before applying. 


How long is the DNP program?

The DNP program is a part-time only program, lasting 7 semesters.

What is the structure of program curriculum?

It is a hybrid, executive style, part-time program of study (38 credit hours). Students come to campus once each semester for executive sessions. Between these on-campus learning opportunities, students interact with faculty using an on-line platform with synchronous and asynchronous sessions.

What is the average amount of experience of admitted applicants?

Generally, applicants will have between 5-7 years of experience. The current program consists of students ranging from 2 years of experience to 15 years of experience.

What are the average GPAs of students in the program?

The average cumulative graduate and science GPA of enrolled students is 3.5. 

How many students apply and how many students are admitted?

Each year we have between 50-60 students apply, with 10-15 enrolled for the Fall semester. 

Is it possible to work during the program?

Students in the part-time program often work part-time or full-time. Research for the Translational Research Project is generally conducted in the agency of employment.

Where do graduates work after completing the program?

DNP graduates pursue clinical, educational and administrative leadership positions. Students frequently pursue opportunities to implement best practices across units and health systems, both in the D.C.-metro area and across the country during their course of study.

If I am admitted to the program can I begin taking coursework prior to the summer semester?

Admitted and enrolling students must complete a Biostatistics and Research Methods tutorial primer offered by the department in the summer prior to matriculation. It is offered at no charge. Each topic module ends with a quiz. If a perfect score on each quiz is not achieved after three attempts, students will receive individual tutoring. Scores from the primer are not calculated into the overall GPA.


I completed my BSN/MSN outside the U.S., do you need those transcripts?

All foreign transcripts need to be evaluated by World Education Services (WES). Applicants will need to request the WES ICAP evaluation, and have the official copy sent to Georgetown.

English is not my first or native language. Is the TOEFL required?

Applicants are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) if their native language is not English. A minimum score of 600 (paper-­based test) or 250 (computer-­based tests) or 100 (iBT test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required.

I have my RN license from another country. Am I still eligible to apply?    

The first step is to have CGFNS verify your foreign credentials. A U.S. RN License must be provided at the time of application. An applicant is not reviewed without the NCLEX passed and the U.S. nursing license provided to Georgetown University NHS.

*Please note: Georgetown University does not issue Social Security Numbers (SSN). Please contact the Social Security Administration regarding SSN information and needs.


Is graduate student housing available?

No, Georgetown University does not provide graduate student housing.

Where can I find information on housing?

For off campus housing information and resources, please visit the Office of Off Campus Housing website.

What public transportation resources are available?

The Metro does not run directly to campus, however, Georgetown has free campus shuttles that circulate from campus to each of the Dupont Circle and Rosslyn metro stops, as well as along Wisconsin Ave. Additionally, campus is served by MetroBus lines. Please visit the Office of Transportation Management website.


Please contact the Office of Student Financial Services for information about funding, tuition, aid, and other financing questions. (202.687.4547)

What is the tuition for the program?

Please see the Office of Student Financial Services for the current rates.

Is there financial aid available? If so, how do I apply?

Complete information on need-based financial aid and supplemental loan programs is available from the Georgetown University Office of Student Financial Services. The Office of Student Financial Services can help you apply for need-based financial aid, download applications, and obtain detailed information about the many options available for meeting graduate school costs. The Office of Student Financial Services can also be reached by phone at (202) 687-4547.

How do most students finance their graduate education?

Students who are financing their education generally take advantage of their federal loan eligibility. Students who apply for federal financial aid may be eligible for a combination of subsidized and unsubsidized loans. Before considering a private educational loan it is advised that students speak to their financial aid counselor to learn more about these federal loan options. Detailed information on federal loans can be found on the Office of Student Financial Services website.

Where can I find information on scholarships?

Please explore scholarship opportunities through our main scholarship webpage. Further information on seeking scholarships can be found through the Office of Student Financial Services scholarship page.