Founded in 1903, the school is committed to advancing health equity and population health for individuals, families, and communities in the United States and abroad. The school is home to degree programs at the bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels, and our faculty comprises seasoned practitioners, researchers, scholars, and teachers.
Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies is a values-based organization that educates the health workforce and advances practice, research, and scholarship, with a strong focus on reducing health disparities and promoting health equity around the globe. The multidisciplinary school houses energizing academic degree programs at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels.
- 1903: Founding year as the Georgetown University Hospital Training School for Nurses
- 1906: First graduating class of the three-year diploma program
- 2000: Renamed as the School of Nursing & Health Studies to reflect new health-related academic programs
- 2011: Launched Georgetown’s first-ever online degree-granting program
Dr. Carole Roan Gresenz holds the Bette Jacobs Endowed Professorship in the Department of Health Systems Administration. She is a health economist with expertise in health care organization and finance, health disparities in medical care, and access to and quality of care among vulnerable populations. Her current research spans Alzheimer’s disease, prostate cancer, oral health, and gun policy. She received her Ph.D. in economics from Brown University and joined Georgetown after many years as a senior economist with the RAND Corporation. She was appointed interim dean of the School of Nursing & Health Studies in 2019.
Learn more about Dr. Gresenz.
Office of the Dean
- Dr. Carole Roan Gresenz, Interim Dean
- Dr. Allan Angerio, Associate Dean
- Dr. Patricia Grady, Senior Advisor for Nursing
- Dr. Pablo Irusta, Associate Dean of Health Studies
- Mr. Scott Andrews, Associate Dean for Finance and Administration
- Dr. Mary Haras, Department of Advanced Nursing Practice
- Dr. Pablo Irusta, Department of Human Science
- Dr. Christopher King, Department of Health Systems Administration
- Dr. Bernhard Liese, Department of International Health
- Dr. Edilma Yearwood, Department of Professional Nursing Practice
- Dr. Jan LaRocque, Executive Faculty
The Strategic Plan defined a Mission, Vision, and Values Statement, as well as outlined goals for the future.
Learn more about the 2018-2019 academic year.
Not all programs offered by the School of Nursing & Health Studies and other schools at Georgetown University are able to operate and enroll students in all states and international locations. Information by program is available here: Clinical Nurse Leader, Executive Master’s in Health Systems Administration, Master’s in Nursing, Post-BSN DNP, and Post-Master’s DNP.
The Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing, Master’s Degree in Nursing, and Doctor of Nursing Practice at Georgetown University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org). Visit the list of accredited programs. The Master’s in Health Systems Administration Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education. The Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice Program is accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs. The Midwifery Program at Georgetown University is fully accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education (ACME), 8403 Colesville Road, Suite 1550, Silver Spring, MD 20910-6374; For information about accreditation please contact ACME directly. Tel: 240-485-1802, email@example.com, www.midwife.org/acme.
Careers at NHS
Staff positions, when open, are available by visiting the human resources website.
Compliance and Ethics
Students may visit the Office of Compliance & Ethics for information on university student grievance policy and procedures, state agency contact information, and other required disclosures.
Explore information and resources related to Georgetown programs preparing students for employment in a licensed profession by visiting resources provided by the compliance office.