The mission of the Minority Health Initiative Council (MHIC) at Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies is to facilitate access and support for minority students within the school.
The council was founded in winter 2010 as the Minority Health Initiative Group (MHIG). In summer 2012, the group's leadership changed the name to the Minority Health Initiative Council (MHIC).
The MHIC promotes the importance of optimal health to minorities through health education and training, research, and community outreach in an effort to reduce health disparities.
Our mission is accomplished through the following instruction, research, and community service goals:
- Reach out to current and prospective minority students to facilitate ongoing interaction and support in an effort to increase the number of underrepresented students who are interested in studying and working within the health field, while increasing retention rates.
- Engage with the community as trusted partners in various health initiatives at the regional, national, and international levels. To promote and support strategies programs, research & health policies that address disease prevention and health service delivery capacity in medically underserved communities.
2013-2014 Student Leadership
- Co-Chair: LaMar Holmes (NHS’14), human science
- Co-Chair: Chelsea Redman (NHS’14), health care management & policy
- Juan Dent (NHS’14), international health
- Nadia Thura (NHS’14), international health
- Mary Amaechi (NHS’14), human science
- Claudia Ruiz-Calderon (NHS’14), nursing
- Marisha Wickremsinhe (NHS’15), international health
- Marcus Bryd (NHS’15), international health
- Alexis Boaz (NHS’15), health care management & policy
- Khadijah Davis (NHS’15), health care management & policy
- Aspen McCoy (NHS’15), human science
- Victor Wang (NHS’15), human science
- Nieway Beemnet (NHS’16), human science
- Shradha-Sonia Chhabria (NHS’16), international health
- Aileen Lee (NHS’16), international health
Faculty and Staff Advisors
- Church Service Honors 50th Anniversary of 1964 Civil Rights Act
- International Health Sophomore Serves Community Through Multiple Activities
- MHIC Statement on the Passing of President Nelson Mandela (December 10, 2013)
- HCMP Major Conducts Research, Explores Health Disparities
- Floyd Selected for Gilman Review Committee
- Human Science Majors Focuses on Public Health
- Congresswoman Speaks to Minority Health Initiative Council
- NHS Students Receive Awards for Service Projects
- Renowned Nurse Bioethicist Delivers NHS Values Based Lecture
- IH Major Engages Local Community, Plans Global Experience
- Student Groups Co-Host Event on World AIDS Day
E-mail the Minority Health Initiative Council at email@example.com.