The McAuley Lecture Series at the School of Nursing & Health Studies covers topics related to health and health care and is open to students, faculty, and staff across the university's campus.
The series was made possible through a gift from Brian and Jane McAuley - parents of Georgetown graduates Beth (C’98), Mary (NHS’07), and Tricia (NHS’02).
February 22, 2017: Susan B. Hassmiller, PhD, RN, FAAN
Watch the live-stream of the event by clicking here.
On February 22 at 3:30 PM in Copley Formal Lounge, the School of Nursing & Health Studies and the Department of Professional Nursing Practice will co-host the school’s annual McAuley Lecture with a keynote address by Susan B. Hassmiller, PhD, RN, FAAN, senior advisor for nursing at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, who will speak on the role of nurses in creating a culture of health.
Susan Hassmiller, PhD, RN, FAAN, who joined the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) in 1997, is presently the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation senior adviser for nursing. In this role, she shapes and leads the Foundation’s nursing strategies in an effort to create a higher quality of care in the United States for people, families and communities. Drawn to the Foundation’s “organizational advocacy for the less fortunate and underserved,” Hassmiller is helping to assure that RWJF's commitments in nursing have a broad and lasting national impact. (Photo and text from the RWJF Web site. Read more.)
Some of our past McAuley Lecture speakers are:
- Patrick Conway, MD, deputy administrator for innovation and quality and chief medical officer at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Mary Wakefield, PhD, RN, FAAN, then-administrator of the Health Resources and Services Administration
- Michael O. Leavitt, then-U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services
- Marc B. Schenker, MD, MPH, a professor in the Department of Public Health Sciences at the University of California at Davis School of Medicine and founding director of the Migration and Health Research Center at UC Davis and UC Berkeley
- Christine Candio, MPA, RN, FACHE, CEO of Inova Alexandria Hospital and chairmain of the American College of Healthcare Executives
- Diana J. Mason, PhD, RN, FAAN, then-president of the American Academy of Nursing
- Rollin J. (Terry) Fairbanks, MD, MS, FACEP, director of the National Center for Human Factors Engineering in Healthcare at the MedStar Institute for Innovation.
- Jamie Kamailani Boyd, PhD, FNP-BC, APRN, health programs coordinator at Windward Community College of the University of Hawaii System
- Richard S. Schottenfeld, MD, professor of psychiatry at Yale School of Medicine
- Fran Drescher, actress and cancer activist
- Bruce E. Bradley, director of health care strategy and public policy at General Motors Corporation
- Sister Mary Rose McGeady, then-president and CEO of Covenant House
- Peter Buerhaus, PhD, RN, FAAN, the Valere Potter Professor of Nursing at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
- Enrique Ruelas Barajas, MD, former undersecretary of health in Mexico