Mission and Objectives
Andrew Strunk (NHS’13), a health care management & policy major, competed in a national contest sponsored by KaiserEDU.org, winning first prize for his essay, “Improving Quality of Care and Patient Safety Through Tort Reform.”
The mission of the Department of Health Systems Administration is to be a leading resource for the provision of high quality health services through education, research, and service that will improve health services and systems administration.
The Objectives of the Department
- To have a highly qualified faculty who collaborate in an intellectually stimulating and collegial environment.
- To create an environment in which diverse students and faculty participate in advancing knowledge of health services provision.
- To offer high quality, competency-based service, continuing, graduate and undergraduate programs that emphasize quality of care.
- To maintain a collaborative and mutually beneficial relationship with the professional practice of health services administration.
- To serve as a resource to Georgetown University, the School of Nursing & Health Studies, the Health Sciences Center and the MedStar Health System.
- To reflect the Jesuit values of educating the total person for successful citizenship and service.
- To serve the alumni of the programs as they achieve their career objectives.
The Mission of the Undergraduate Health Care Management & Policy Program
To provide the opportunity to develop the foundation of a career in the administration of health services through a well-designed liberal education, understanding the role of health in achieving quality of life and the role of high quality health services in protecting and promoting health.
The Objectives of the Undergraduate Health Care Management & Policy Program
- To attract individuals to careers in health services administration who are committed to making a significant contribution to quality health care as well as the health and the quality of life of the public.
- To orient students to the full spectrum of career opportunities in the field of health services, with an emphasis on the provision of high quality service delivery.
- To expose students to successful role models in didactic and practice settings.
- To provide fundamental background in the social, political, economic and technical forces and developments that shape the environment of the provision of health services.
- To provide basic competencies in the managerial skills and ethical sensitivity that are essential for successful and meaningful careers in the field.
- To provide practical learning experiences that will enhance and integrate didactic learning.
- To develop in students the appreciation and skills that are essential for life-long learning and development.